Monday, December 3, 2007

YC's Farewell

Dear all,

I enjoyed last Friday's event (the Recognition Dinner 2007) and especially the company that you had provided.

I have learned much from my relative short stint as the President of Extol Toastmasters. By administering club affairs and events with the wonderful mix of members in the club , I felt fortunate to have improved my understanding and appreciation of good leadership and the fruits of the Toastmasters programme. It was an eye-opening experience for me and it takes more than words to describe the exhilaration I felt and the little, little things that made me tick in my busiest moments working for the club.

Truly, my life would have been much poorer and my lot lesser without this serendipity.

The weathering trials of Extol Toastmasters made me realize the weight of the words of Winston Churchill in his inaugural speech," I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." To the all the past Presidents of Extol Toastmasters, I admire the work that you had wrought, the trials endured, and the finest moments that you had. You have been the inspiration to me and I would urge all members to learn from all that they have to share.

A Teacher can only bring you so far in your journey, the rest of it, you will have to walk yourself. Members, please take whatever advice they offer seriously and make the first step. There is nothing more depriving than to be blinkered by self-doubt and fettered by avoidance. When you have truly tried, without the fear of failure and reprimand, that will be your finest moment.

In the coming months,

I see Extol Toastmasters uniting in purpose despite their differences and personal biases.

I see Extol Toastmasters overcoming many obstacles that would have mired the meek.

I see Extol Toastmasters rising above the rest because they have told themselves,"We shall overcome."

Some say that I already see the heavens.

(haha... ok~!)

We are not too far from making this club a grand success, what lies ahead requires a little bit more from each of you. And, I am sure you have within you this power and wisdom to make the difference.

A piece of advice that I picked up along the short way of my life,

Fear less, hope more;
Whine less, breathe more;
Talk less, say more;
Hate less, Love more;
And all the good things will be yours.


Please cooperate with your incoming President CC Marvin Lau. I have every confidence in him to carry on this great tradition of Extol Toastmasters and to bring it to greater heights.

This is my last public message as your President. The French madamoiselles and Camembert cheese are waiting for me, and I dare not tarry any longer. "Oui, madamoiselles... je vais! "

Au Revoir!

Sincerement,
Monsieur YC Lim
apres le president des Extol Toastmasters

No comments: